Are you eager to sketch new places?
Are you not quite ready to travel and paint outside?
Want instruction from seasoned international instructors?
Then welcome to Foreign Exchange.
Studio Kelkar and Pedro Loureiro are teaming up to bring a set of workshop that will start online but end outdoors. We have 2 sets for you.
Our first set is Lisboa focused. (You are in the right place, keep reading)
Our second set is San Jose focused. (Sign up link – click here)
We use technology so that you can avail of instruction from both of us in one weekend. Look at the graphics to see how the 3, 2-hour sessions are planned.
The Lisboa focused workshop will begin Saturday afternoon in the comfort of your house, where Uma will instruct from her home town of San Jose over Zoom. Later in the day, Pedro will take you to the old town of Lisboa (link) to use the tools that you learned from Uma a few hours earlier. He will of course add his flavor to her teachings in-person. The next day, we reconvene for an on-location workshop with Pedro as the in-person instructor and will have a booth setup where Uma can Zoom chat with anyone who needs 1-1 instruction. We will have a system in place so no one person overuses Uma’s 1-1 time.
In Lisbon time (GMT+1)
Sat, June 5, 2 pm – 4 pm, Uma teaches via Zoom
Sat, June 5, 7 pm – 9 pm, Pedro on location
Sun, June 6, 2 pm – 4 pm, Pedro on location, Uma on Zoom
And still some time to relax in the late afternoon.
Our common strengths:
Introverted instructors who can talk a lot about painting. Both use watercolor, ink and pens and are avid urban sketchers. Both volunteer with urban sketchers in varying roles other than that of Urban Sketcher instructors.
Our differentiating strengths:
Where Uma is a shape painter, Pedro is a line artist. Even his complex drawings appear clean and this skill is reflected in his vocabulary and in-person teaching as well. Uma is well acquainted with Almaden Lake and feels she can show you beauty in the sometimes stark vegetation around the lake. Starting with line and moving to shapes or vice-versa will inform choices one makes. Foreign Exchange workshops will provide options for tackling the same plein air spot.
We will follow all the county restrictions and social distancing mandates.
* All times mentioned are Western Europe (GMT+1).
* Zoom link will be shown upon registration.
* 24 hours before the workshop, Zoom link will be once again sent to the email address with which payment is made. Don’t forget to check that inbox!
* One 2 hour class: €55
* All three 2 hour classes: €165
* Payments accepted through PayPal or MBWay
* For registration, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paper: Watercolor sketchbook, pad or loose watercolor paper. Tape/clip loose paper on a flat support. Prefer fine grain, and cold pressed. Make sure that your sketchbooks can open flat. Otherwise bring clips to hold down pages of your study book.
- Brushes: Watercolor round brushes, size 12, 6, 2. If you are using squirrel mops: size 2 alone works. Pedro will be working in a sketchbook too, so large washes are not expected.
- Spray bottle: Used to keep washes and paints moist in hot weather.
- Pigments: Raw sienna, Burnt sienna (brown), Cobalt blue, Ultramarine blue, Payne’s Grey, Sap or Olive green, occasional colors: Winsor Yellow and Alizarin Crimson.
- Pen: Nib pen with waterproof ink, or pigment fineliners
- Pencil: 2B lead or softer, for thumbnails and studies
- Eraser: Don’t bring one